Thursday, December 10, 2009

Ferrari Gran Turismo Omologato or GTO



The Ferrari GTO is the direct descendant of the Ferrari 250 GT. The lineage goes back to October 1954 with the introduction of the Europa GT. The Europa GT evolved into the 250 GT SWB (Short Wheel Base).

Ask almost any automobile enthusiast what the greatest name in cars is and most will answer "Ferrari". No other company can come close to Ferrari's record when it comes building fast, exciting, and sexy cars.

If Ferrari makes the greatest cars, then what is the "greatest" Ferrari? Most followers would answer "GTO". In a historical list of cars that defined style, speed and excitement, the GTO is the ultimate!

The most desired Ferrari is also the most expensive. In 1962 the price for a new GTO was about $23,000 which may seem ludicrous now but back then, that was a lot of money to pay for a car! In the early 1990s, when prices for rare and classic cars were at crazy levels, a GTO sold for $15,000,000. A GTO was recently bid to $7,700,000 at an auction but went unsold. So even a classic Ferrari isn't immune to the financial downdraft!



Part of the lure of the GTO is its exclusivity; only 39 were built. The letters "GTO" stand for "Gran Turismo Omologato" which translates into "Grand Touring Homologated" or "approval" for racing. But, at least 100 should have been built, as this was the number required to qualify the car (at the time) for international sports car racing. I'm not sure how Enzo Ferrari pulled that one off. (see more on this story- click here)

So, did Pontiac "filtch" the name "GTO" off the Ferrari Gran Turismo Omologato? Maybe, but that won't deter me from wanting a Pontiac GTO!

(photo's courtesy of voodooimages.com)
(the video above is way biased, but interesting)
I hope you enjoyed this little bit of GTO trivia.

MHL

4 comments:

  1. Nice blog - nice rides. Thanks for sharing - Just surfing by.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've known this for years, but sort of forgot the details. One thing hasn't changed...I still can't for the life of me pronounce "Omologato." Never owned a Pontiac GTO...one of my regrets from my youth. Maybe some day if I come into money!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rick- thanks for surfing by!

    Hi Joker! long time no see, it always brings a smile to my face to see a comment from you! I think you pronounce "Omologato" as "O-moe-low-got-toe" but I don't speak Ferrari so don't quote me on that :-) And you are not alone, I too am in the "maybe some day" category when it come to getting another Classic car. I coulda, shoulda, woulda!

    ReplyDelete